Fall 2012 trend alert: patent leather is poised to make a major showing! Patent-leather texture is no longer relegated to the warmer months. As long as you’re not stuck trudging along snow-filled banks, you’ll be fine (water-stains on patent leather are permanent!). This season, new patents come in a variety of shapes, heights, and sizes. Bold red from Maison Martin Margiela is a must to perk up your winter wardrobe, though I also love a shiny nude bootie (so unexpected). But the most whimsical of all is Red Valentino’s two-toned patent brogue, for low height and maximum flavor.
All available on Net-a-Porter.
1. Maison Martin Margiela Patent-Leather Pumps ($775): Margiela takes a surprisingly subdued turn with this pump-turned-T-strap, for a mature take on the ruby slipper.
2. RED Valentino Two-Tone Patent-Leather Loafers ($425): Tomboy no more! The oxford-fringe may speak of menswear, but pink shine and sweet ribbons say you enjoy being a girl.
3. Lanvin Patent-Leather Boots ($1,145): Black ankle booties are a constant staple, but coated in gloss, they are actually exciting. Matte leather just looks sad in comparison.
4. Christian Louboutin Creve Coeur 85 Patent-Leather Sandals ($795): A deep-V is always sexy, but it’s especially seductive in inky shine in a newly refined silhouette.
5. Maison Martin Margiela Varnished Leather Ankle Boots ($1,070): Offbeat, softly structured, and oh-so chic, a glossed bootie in nude is perfectly directional.