I am still haunted by the jelly shoes of my youth. The gladiator styles that had no style and the ballet slippers would slip (from gross sweat). I still do not believe in “real” shoes re-imagined into jellys – the rubberized YSL Tribute is a tragedy and travesty to the iconic shoe. But in thong and sandal form, clearly designed for splashing around by the pool and beach, there is nothing wrong with plastic flip-flops. And with some embellishment and a bit of detail, they are super-adorable.
1. Chloé Black Jelly Sandals: Clear PVC looks chic tinted black, and a discreet, distressed metal logo adds just enough oomph to a scant thong sandal. On Ssense for $225.
2. Valentino Rockstud Studded Thong Bow Jelly Flip Flops: Rockstuds make everything better! Shaped into a sweet bow, these rubbery sandals are gratefully upgraded. At Saks Fifth Avenue for $295.
3. Dior Jelly Blossom Thong Sandal: A tropical blossom is all it takes to push these girly pink flip-flops into the territory of a vacation must. At Neiman Marcus for $270.
4. Sergio Rossi Jelly T-Strap Sandal: It’s hard to believe this is PVC! That’s because a simple leather strap is enough to make these undeniably snob-worthy. At Neiman Marcus for $275.
5. Mulberry Bow-Detailed Rubber Flip-Flops: If the Valentino bow is too overt for your taste, this on sale option has just a dash of pizzazz, to bring you back to younger days. On sale at Net-a-Porter for $102 (from $170).