To quote vintage Carrie Bradshaw, the stylish white shoe can be something of an “urban shoe myth.” It’s so hard to find non-geriatric white shoes! But like Carrie’s obsessed-over Manolo Mary Jane, it can be attained – it just has to have the right elements.
And just like with color, it’s all or nothing. There’s no in-between for me: sky-high or perfectly flat, please! (I have no place in my life for midway kitten heels. I make the commitment!) Bleached-out platforms are less clunky when they’ve been punched up with perforated details or cork wedges and quirky power pumps look hot in cool white:
1. Topshop Whamm Espadrille Leather Wedges: Whamm is right! White leather and espadrille rope doesn’t exactly sound like a recipe for a high-impact shoe, but this platform packs heat.
At Topshop for $130.
2. Alexander Wang Multi-Strap Leather Shoes: Crisp and pointy-toed, Wang’s is a sharp favorite. The curving heel and unexpected straps keep the stark shade from looking severe.
On Antonioli for $1,119.
3. Alice + Olivia Jana Slingback Laser-Cut Leather Wedge Sandals: Even though they give a nod to Granny’s doilies, these platforms are anything but old-school. Lacy detailing looks funky on a chunky yet shapely wedge.
At Saks Fifth Avenue for $280.
4. Chloé Criss-Cross Wedge: With a nod to the Summer of Love, these freewheeling sandals have a vintage vibe – perfect for this summer’s gypsy-inspired patterns.
At Barneys New York for $895.
5. Balenciaga Arena Thong Sandal: I love Balenciaga’s thongs for summer jaunts. Skinny straps and hearty hardware make for an effective outcome, especially in easy white.
At Barneys New York for $595.