There is raffia, and then there is raffia. This season, we are seeing ingenious uses of the material; it has been appropriated into styles we have never experienced, from oxfords to colorblocked platforms. I never thought raffia could get so funky, but I love the fun it’s having. Raffia is finally showcasing its individuality, so take its cue. There’s no way you’ll blend in when you’re wearing a pair of these twisted takes on the weave.
1) Reed Krakoff Raffia Oxfords: Lace-less oxfords that are completely woven with a chunky heel: these are as fashion forward as they are delightfully quirky. At Saks Fifth Avenue for $595.
2) Brian Atwood Ariane Suede Colorblock Espadrille Wedge Sandals: Jump into a deep, dark blue lagoon with this surprising combo of curvy bright-blue straps and offbeat green raffia. At Saks Fifth Avenue for $634.
3) Charlotte Olympia Rapunzel Braided Raffia Wedge: Rapunzel, Rapunzel, give me your shoes! These platforms are right out of an enchanted fairy tale, created with a sense of whimsy that’s almost too good to be true. At Bergdorf Goodman for $1,495.
4) Prada Woven Leather Lace-Up Espadrille: It doesn’t get much quirkier than a woven-leather saddle shoe with a layered platform of cork and weave. Wear these with a cute cropped trouser and a splash of independence. At Bergdorf Goodman for $950.
5) Burberry Prorsum Raffia and Leather Printed Wedge Loafers: A feast for the eyes with lots of stimuli to gaze at, from the artsy printed wedge to the peep-toed loafer details. Luckily, it’s all muted for a harmonious result. At Saks Fifth Avenue for $1,095.